Student midwife ‘crushed’ by dad’s suicide took her own life just two months later

Friends and family have paid tribute to a “happy and bubbly” student midwife who took her own life just two months after her dad died.

Jade Jones, 20, was found unresponsive by her flatmates in Hull last December, and was pronounced dead at the scene despite the efforts of medics.

Her mum said she was a “remarkably strong person” and had a bright future ahead of her, reports Hull Live.

But her dad had taken his own life in October 2021 and she was responsible for arranging his funeral, an inquest heard.

Jade’s mum said: “She was mortified at the news but she dealt with it as you would expect anyone who loses their dad.

“However, she was a bit stressed at having to organise the funeral. Jade was a remarkably strong person and she took on the responsibility, but I think it may have affected her mental health.”

She spoke to her daughter on the day before her death and said she seemed very happy, but became concerned when she was unable to get hold of her the following day.

She continued: “I cannot understand why Jade did what she did. She had so much to live for and to look forward to. She put on such a strong persona since her dad died and looked after her younger sister.

“Jade was such a happy, bubbly person and always made those around her happy too. I cannot believe that Sunday was the last time I spoke to her and that my precious daughter has passed away.”

The Hull University undergraduate had been at a pub with friends on the day previous and “had a smile on her face”, the inquest was told.

One friend said: “Jade was happy and joking around, having a good time. She did karaoke and had a smile of her face.

“At about 1am she changed and became really upset. She was talking about her dad and then said she wanted to go home.”

Another friend told the inquest: “That was the happiest I had ever seen Jade. She was laughing and dancing. She talked about her dad but wasn’t upset, she just seemed to be reminiscing.

“She was so strong, that’s who Jade was. Nothing that night made me fear anything would happen.”

But she later received some worrying text messages from Jade as she headed home.

She added: “I feel really confused. There is nothing I can put my finger on to explain why Jade did something like this.”

Friends and colleagues became concerned when Jade failed to turn up at a work Christmas party the following day. Flatmates found her and called an ambulance.

A post-mortem by pathologist Dr Ian Richmond concluded her death was due to hanging. A note was found in her room addressed to family.

Giving a conclusion of suicide, area coroner Lorraine Harris said: “There were no signs of any mental health issues. She seemed to have been having a very happy evening the night before and her death was absolutely not foreseeable.

“It is very rare that something like this happens when there is nothing anyone could have done to anticipate how such a strong, happy young woman would take such an action.

“I believe there was intent to take her own life but it was a very small pocket of time and not something she had thought about or planned for days or weeks.

“I would urge anyone in distress to call the 24-hour crisis hotline. Jade would not have known about this as she never suffered from any mental health issues before.”

She added: “I have noted the joy Jade brought to everyone’s life and everyone who knew her had lovely things to say about her, not just her family, but friends as well.

“Jade was going to dedicate her life to helping others which is no mean feat. She is an absolute loss.

“I give the family my sincere condolences. She looked to be a beautiful person both inside and out. It is an absolute tragedy her life ended this way.”